Monday, August 17, 2009

China, Maine Small Businesses Understand That "Big" Business Isn't Evil

It's always nice to see some businesses that actually believe in competing within the market, rather than shame campaigns and lobbying political leaders to keep the market diluted:

Barber thinks he'll be able to do that -- not by competing directly with Hannaford, but by differentiating Tobey's Grocery and the two other, smaller markets he owns along Route 3.

"I'm not just a supermarket," he said. "I have five or six different businesses inside each one of mine."

At Tobey's Grocery, for example, customers can fill up their gas tanks outside, walk inside and order a pizza from "Pizza Heaven," and then go about their grocery shopping.

When it comes to more specialized products such as custom-cut meats, Barber said customers will likely stick with him.

"I think there's plenty of room here as long as I do the things I do well," Barber said. "What I am good at is, I complement the bigger supermarkets. Most of my customers work in Augusta, Waterville, Belfast and already shop at Hannaford's anyway."

Overall, she said, China will benefit from having Hannaford in town.

"It's going to be good because there's going to be competition," she said. "That keeps everybody honest, and it gives everybody variety."


Source: http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/6723099.html

No comments:

Post a Comment